WWIV Book 1

FOUR WWIV Books are now available on Amazon.
Click here for more information.

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Self-Publishing: No Formal Training Required

The title of this post pretty much says it all. Today, it is easier than ever to become a published author. And I am, almost now, living proof of such.

I began my quest a little more than 13 months ago. There was a novel I wanted to write (Golden 5). I began January 23rd and wrote until my fingers became numb. I continued writing almost every day. Occasionally, I took a day or a weekend off. But not until early March did I actually stop; not until my "masterpiece" was completed. Then came the big question – now what?

You see, in all honesty, I never planned on publishing anything. I wrote the manuscript because it was on my bucket list, because I had this great story in my head, and because I had another reason or two. But never, ever did I plan on this seeing the light of day.

And then came book two in that series. People around me, we'll call them beta-readers, loved what I'd written. I'd give them 20 chapters and they'd come back the next day and only say, "where's the next 20?" Okay, maybe I was onto something.

And then came the suggestions for a series to introduce my style to the literary world. Something to release before my masterpiece (at least what I consider to be my masterpiece).

After months and months of early mornings and later nights, I finally had Book One of the WWIV series ready for an editor, a professional. Someone who'd seen all this stuff (for lack of a better word) before. Someone who would see through my smoke and mirrors, and make me out for the amateur I am.

To say I was nervous is to say that Lake Superior is big, and deep, and cold. Nervous wasn't the right feeling. Perhaps I was even scared. Scared that this little folly into becoming a self-published author would come crashing down when his honest, and I was sure biting, review of my novel came back.

Next time I'll go into greater detail on his (and others) responses. Suffice it to say, I was shocked alright. But shocked in a good way. It seemed, that maybe – just maybe – I was good enough to continue forward.

Trust me, it wasn't years and years of dreaming about becoming an author that drove me to this. It wasn't my college major (Accounting, not English Lit) that steered me in this direction. It wasn't even my great command of the language and all its grammatical nuances that led me here. It's something much simpler than all of that.

I am, and probably always have been, a good story teller. Really, that's all I have for you. I tell good stories. And for that, I thank my Dad!


Until next time, find a great book and read!


lake


No comments:

Post a Comment