WWIV Book 1

FOUR WWIV Books are now available on Amazon.
Click here for more information.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Oh Google, I Saw This Coming

I received an email the other day; well, a gmail actually. At least it came to my gmail account.

"Watch videos ad-free & uninterrupted with YouTube Red"

Holy crap Batman. I love watching videos. And especially on You Tube. This is perfect for me. I mean absolutely, brilliantly perfect!

But, as always, there a catch...



Yeah; like most things in life, it ain't free. Surprise (and that's a faux surprise in case you didn't catch the sarcasm).

You Tube is owned by Google. They, Google, purchased the video sharing service back in about 2006 I believe (if my research is correct). And in case you have lived in a cave since Al Gore invented the internet, Google has become the internet.

I'm not saying Google is bad...Absolutely Not

No, they just know how to make money. And lots of money. They call it monetizing. And Google monetizes everything. And they are really good at it.

So, what's my point?

We (read that as I and you) understand that Google is in business to make money. We get it, we really do.

But I have the same goal in my writing career. I too want to make money. 

So please, don't ask me to give away all of my novels. Don't question why my latest book may be $3.99, while some of my others are $2.99. (Short answer, book three is a whole lot better than books one and two).

Google is giving us something of value, at a certain price. They are giving us the ability to enjoy uninterrupted videos and background music - for $9.99 per month. I have yet to decide if I'll nibble on this offer. I think I can flip through and end early a lot of commercials for $9.99 every thirty days. But that's not to say I'll feel that way forever.

Consider this the next time you pause before buying an e-book from an independent author that just seems "a little spendy" - it's only four or five dollars, people! Trust me, it won't be the worst "fiver" you've ever spent. And it's only half the cost of a month of You Tube Red.

Let me guess: You already signed up, didn't you?



e a lake


(books below are interactive, so go ahead and click on any of them)


                       

No comments:

Post a Comment